Monday, September 17, 2007

Another week or two...

More unprolific blogging... sorry, my esteemed readers... :)

My big life update, I am shifting house in less than 2 weeks. I will leave the house with 4 others in Witherlea, complete with the lovely backyard and pool for a cute one bedroom cottage in the livestyle block areas outside of Blenheim. I'll be living alone again for the first time in years, but I'm really looking forward to it. I was fortunate to find another place to live in the high demand Blenheim!! NZ has quite a high housing purchase price as well. The median home price compared to average median earnings was 8:1, if memory from reading the paper on the weekend serves. That was higher than the UK which was somewhere around 7, and the US which I think was somewhere in the 4-5 range. Home prices have risen dramatically in recent years in NZ, however the past few months have been more slow. We shall see if it is a seasonal trend and in response to interest rate hikes, or if it is something more.

On the work front, things continue to be busy!!

Lots of the Canadian mates have been back to Canada or are heading back shortly. I seem to be the last of the lot, with my flight booked for November. I'm one of the few missing Canadian summer and NZ winter... blame that on a June 30 fiscal year end at work.

Interesting tidbit on the NZ political system. People here are obligated to register on the voters list. (Or the Maori roll). You can check your status on the list by reviewing a website, I think I read in the documents that came to the house saying no one at this address was currently registered. Permanent residents and citizens can both vote.

It is starting to feel a bit like spring. My freckles have come out... I didn't think I got freckles. I shall blame the NZ sun!

I tried one of the NZ delicacies the other day. Whitebait patties. Whitebait are tiny little fish- think about the size of minnows. They were cooked up in an egg like patty- and you eat the whole thing, eyes and all. It definitely was NOT my favourite food, but I did give it a taste. Of all the non-fish seafood that I've tried here, the only one I don't mind is scallops. Lamb has grown on me, after a yummy roast we had on the weekend.

Until next time...

No comments: