Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Wind, rain, and foul weather...

It has not felt like the topp of the south at all of late...



Rain, wind, more rain, more wind... But I was delighted to have a bit of thunder and lightening on the weekend. It was kind of like home- although kind of not... There was not a big hot day with buildups and the like, it was just a plain old rainy overcast day.



I'm loving the new flat in the country and the joys of living alone. I'm trying to be a bit of a gardener- I have a tomato and some herbs growing. The basil has pretty much croaked. I'll blame the wind... (Gusts have been up to 120 km/h, so yes, I think it's a realistic blame...)



There was quite the jolt perhaps it was last week, as in the strongest earth quake that I've felt so far. It was 5. something, down at hanmer. That's in the neighbourhood of a few hour drive south. The wine glasses shook, and the bathroom was shaking. They're still novelties for me, although obviously not so much for kiwis who've been here for a long time...



I'm starting to get a bit excited about my visit to Canada- less than a month to go!!

Interesting tidbits about kiwi culture... They like strange things- like beetroot and eggs on their burgers.

They tend to actually pronounce their "t"s, unlike us Saskatchewanians who pronounce water like "wadder". They tend to tack on rs to words ending in vowels, if the word is followed by another word starting with a vowel. Example: Rita is in Canada becomes Riter is in Canada.

I'm under attack by a rather pesky mosquito. I leave this post to win the battle.

1 comment:

Alice Satterthwaite said...

Hi Kelly,
I have updated my blog and by the looks of things you have too.
Alice