Tuesday, December 16, 2008

As Christmas nears...

I have once again been a terrible blogger. :) Too busy Christmas carding- or something. .. If you haven't gotten one and you're overseas, I'm sorry. Send me your address and I'll send you a postcard instead. If you're in NZ, I haven't yet gotten to these. Soon!

It's funny - I had recently blogged about how quickly the Labour party appointed their new leader and commented things move more slowly in Canada. Not necessarily- apparently.

One of my favourite things about Christmas- getting Christmas cards. I've received a couple from Canada and one through work. It's funny how much getting a Christmas card can brighten ones day.
Interesting kiwi traditions-
1) The chocolate fish. Being a non kiwi it's hard to define what exactly qualifies someone to be given this, but it's a "thank you", sometimes for going "above and beyond" the call of duty.

2) Christmas crackers . Wikipedia tells me these are a big tradition in Canada- but I haven't experienced them there like I have here. We had a work Christmas dinner the other day- and my Christmas crackers contained a top- and a terrible joke. Or at least others thought it was terrible. I'm so fond of dry humour I quite enjoyed it. It was something like "What kind of party does a snowman enjoy?" Answer- a snowball. This kind of reminds me of the jokes on the back of the kids activity chart when we went to the Cobb & Co for a friends birthday a few weeks ago. "What's brown and sticky?" - Answer- a stick. I LOVE that one... I also wore (for a few minutes at least) the purple crown that was in the crackers.

I spent a weekend a couple back in my FAVOURITE backpackers- in Picton. I spotted it when I lived in Blenheim and I couldn't justify staying there when I lived less than 20 minutes away. Now that I'm in Nelson it was finally justifiable to pay to stay there. Check it out... Nice, hey.










No comments: