Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Arrived in Auckland

Greetings from Auckland, NZ.

Getting here:
The journey started late Saturday afternoon when my parents, brother and I drove to Saskatoon. We left there just before 5am Sunday and I caught my flight to Calgary, where after a very short layover I caught my flight to LAX. I must say, however, that my immediate impressions of LAX were not very favourable. The multiple people that I stopped to ask for directions were not at all helpful- including the Air Canada agent, who walked away from me mid sentence and did not return to her terminal. I would recommend that they get scrolling information on their arrivals and departures board to assist those people with nice long layovers who aren't assisted by the board , and also helpful little map sites that so many other airports have showing which carriers are at which terminals. Anyhow, I made it through my ~10 + hour layover. I finished my Nicholas Sparks book (which I highly recommend), and got a good way through my final book for the airport. I also had a grand time listening to mp3s. I met a few great folks sitting waiting. Their good conversation helped to pass the last few hours of waiting.

My impressions of Air NZ were extremely favourable. The food was fantastic. The legroom was ample. Each seat has its own personal controls- selections including music, TV, movies, as well as games and other background, and the ever fun to watch progress map of NZ. We also all were provided our own blanket and pillow- which was great. I watched the 8 below or whatever it was called movie (the one about the sled dogs in antarctica)- pushing away the tempation to watch LOTR yet again. Then it was supper time. And then I napped. The plane was pretty full so I was rather thankful for the window seat. Also rather thankful for the jacket I carried on as the xtra pillow. The NZ airport was well signed, and the folks were helpful. I wonder if I saw a rugby player- or someone else famous- as people were soliciting autographs. He looked like an athlete of some kind, at any rate. It was funny to discover that some of the folks here like to tag on "love", or is it "luv" on the end of their sentences. E.g.- Go over there, luv. The airbus shuttle to the hostel was nice and easy, although the driver was having a great time making fun of beancounters, who are "nothing but trouble." I am now drafting this email, and it is now 3 hours to hostel checkin. I really feel like a shower!!

I have nothing on the agenda for today, other than adapting to New Zealand time. Which probably means a short nap, and an early bed time, but not sleeping all day. And definitely going for a walk. I love getting the feeling of a city by going for a walk. Our breakfast was at something like 2:30am our time, so my clock is definitely not straight. (Ooh, the thrill of saying "our" time, meaning NZ time... I'm temporarily at home in kiwiland, and I am now a little excited... It took a quite a while, I guess for the excitement to strike.) Or maybe it is just that I am tired. But It still feels like I've been up for hours and hours, even though I must have slept 6 or 8 hours on the plane. Or maybe it just feels like the end of a 12 or more hour work day, sort of surreal, if you know what I mean, other fellow late workers.

Tomorrow's agenda includes an orientation - helping me apply for a tax number etc. Getting down to business, a little more. So I think I'll just enjoy today.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Kelly on reaching New Zealand! Hope that the search for the tax number goes well and that you become a bit more oriented. I look forward to hearing more from you!

Anonymous said...

Hey Miss Kelly,

Good to hear that you are there safe and sound. Good luck tomorrow! Look forward to hearing more of your adventure.

Miss you,
Danelle