Thursday, June 28, 2007

Blenheim in late June...

The days are getting longer again... Oh hurray! There have been a few dramatically chilly mornings here- at least by Blenheim standards. It was -5 the other day! I've decided that instead of the hassle of scraping my car, walking to work is a better option... (if I get out of bed early enough...) :) It only takes 45 minutes, and the other day I got a ride from a random elderly woman who passed me walking in the cold. Some of the Blenheim folks appear rather friendly...

I've managed to procure 2 "car scrapers". One is like a credit card that comes from the petrol stations... The other, my lovely friend Mandie managed to find at Bunnings... It's actually a plastic paint scraper- but they don't seem to have the real thing here.

I keep making exciting discoveries on differences here. Twist in lightbulbs are very rare... Push in ones are more the norm... Also tacks are called something entirely different. I can't remember the name. Tacks here are usually things you put down carpet with.

On the immigration front, immigration has issued my visa/permit and I shall soon have my passport back. Hopefully my criminal check will come in the next bit so they can do my residency... This would be very good, as my medical will expire eventually and I'll have to go spend a further $350 to get it done again... 4.5 months and counting on the criminal record check front...

It's Canada day this weekend and I'm keen to meet up with some other Canadians back in Nelson... There are a few of us over here.

No comments: