Sunday, February 01, 2009

Bits and pieces

An example of poetic justice:
Last Tuesday I ended up tied up in a meeting on the night I was cooking dinner for a friend. When I got out I quickly raced back to my office, grabbed my stuff, and locked the building. Only the next day did I discover I locked Margaret inside without her key. Friday night I was working late doing month end sales loads. When I went to leave, I discovered I had been locked in by the cleaners. Funny that I locked someone in and got locked in myself, all in the same week.

Yesterday I did something I'd never done before: A tramp carrying my backpack. Ok, sure, it was a super, super, short tramp- but it was still an experience. :) I think it taught me to pack lighter before attempting anything longer... Heather the pro had all the important stuff- cookstove, tent, even a proper sleeping mat (unlike the pilates mat I was using), and she still packed lighter than I did. I met her at Anikawa (the start of the Queen Charolotte Track) and we walked to the first stop- Davies Bay. Here you can camp for $6. Hopefully I put our fees in the right spot. It sort of looked like an ash tray, but hopefully... At Davies Bay the amenities include a water tap and a port a loo. We were the only campers, so it was a quiet camping spot- although there were lots of ducks to keep us company. There were also sandflies!! We cooked up a tasty meal of pasta with veggies and chop chop chicken (yum, canned chicken. It's been a fairly recent, but great discovery). It was a beautiful evening Saturday night- the sky was clear with lots of stars (which I could, of course, barely see without my glasses). There was also the subtle sound of lapping of waves as the tide came up as we drifted off to sleep. Lovely. :) Heather energetically went for a 25km run Sunday morning while I relaxed and read my library book. It was a good wee trip and I'd be keen to try something slightly longer once I'd packed better. Thanks to Heather for being brave enough to take me the rookie "tramping." :) This photo is Davies Bay.














No comments: