Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Doesn't time fly

It's funny - I read other friends blogs and I'm so amazed about how they come up with so many exciting topics to talk about. Good on them. I must be boring- or suffering from a horrible writers block. :)

I've now been in the new apartment about 5 or 6 weeks- meaning I've now gone on MWF morning runs before work since then. I think it might be getting slightly easier, but only slightly. I don't seem to be settling in like I did when I first started jogging before I did the Buller Half Marathon 2 years ago. I hope its still coming- because it gets harder and harder to get up early every morning with the days getting slightly shorter. I'll get a bit of a reprieve when the time changes.

On tonights evening news - Prime Minister John Key and National currently have massive approval ratings- in fact the highest for any party since MMP was instituted. Of course, they only just got elected. Mr Key breaking his arm and auctioning his cast for charity has probably been the biggest political news story in the couple of months. If memory serves it sold for either $8500 or $18500.

The new TV shows are just starting up over here (eg Greys, Lost, etc). Why do they put the new shows on over summer when people are out and about and the old reruns over winter when ever one stays inside trying to stay warm, I wonder??

I've started reading Oliver Twist. I've given Dickens a few goes before and have not really enjoyed the reads- but this is surprisingly good.

Now that I've been in the new apartment for a while, I've also started getting my first bills. The connection of my telephone and internet lines cost something to the tune of $150. The monthly fee is in the neighbourhood of $80. I've also received my first Contact Energy power bill. I was registered on the normal user plan which charges me something in excess of $1 per day just to be connected- plus a rate per kwh. I've rung back to go on the low user plan and pay only 33 cents per day, plus a higher rate per kwh. My first bill was about $95. I did the calcs and would have been substantially lower on the other pricing plan which I've now switched to. (Coming from the land of the Crown Corporation power co- the whole competition in the market place- and the various pricing plan idea are all a little new to me!)

No comments: