Friday, August 28, 2009

A carrot diet...

I returned from Canada about 10 lbs heavier than when I left. Yikes. This week I started an attempt to eat slightly healthier, snack less, exercise more, etc. Certain days have gone well- and certain days (like today- with a morning tea attended) have gone worse! I went for only one run this week and walked to work one day. Next week I'm into month end again- always a busy time at work and with extended hours I've found it difficult to make time for other things, but I'll need to make an effort!

I notice I mis-labelled one of my photos from last post (the danger of only looking at the thumbnail size photo when posting it). It is not Peyto Lake, its actually the view of Lake Louise from the Big Beehive- that gives you a sense of how far uphill the walk was...

I am so thankful to have had the Canada trip. Not only because I was so desparately in need of a break from work. I had an ongoing cold that lingered for about 3 months- but it disappeared my first week in Canada. It was also nice to get some 30s plus weather, spend time in the mountains (such a special place), and of course have time with family and friends.

I'm feeling slightly strange upon returning to NZ. After my family visited several months ago I felt strangely lonely- the most lonely I have felt- pretty much in my time in NZ. I feel a same sort of that sense yet again. I'm here, I live here- but I'm not grounded here. And that feels a little bit strange. It's hard to explain what I mean... I feel a bit torn between two places- a little of each, but fully none of either.

I went to the optometrist last week to finally replace my quickly declining spectacles. I brought some home from Matthews to think about but nothing jumped out at me at all - and when you're spending that sort of $, you want to like them! Eventually I tried another place, and found the pair I wanted at OPSM. It's been about a week and a half since I ordered them (cost at a 25% discount- $628)- can't wait for them to arrive! The perscription is different than my current one- and the coating on the current one is coming off so bad that they look permanently dirty. Hopefully- I'll be wearing the new ones soon.

I've now been a permanent resident in NZ for more than 2 years. This allowed me to apply for my indefinite returning residents visa- which would allow me to come and go as I please without any requirements to stay here for certain amounts of time each year. It'll be good to finally get that process completed. This visa application fee was $140. One of the cheaper parts of the process.

No comments: