Sunday, August 30, 2009

Random things...

Another weekend has come and gone. Yesterday I farewell-ed my flatmate of the past few months- the lovely Erica. She has returned to the US for a 5 week holiday- and when she returns it will not be to sunny Nelson but to a new position in Auckland. I'm going to enjoy the solitary living for a wee while- but then I must decide about whether I can justify the cost of continuing to live here alone, or whether to look for another flatmate, or whether to move somewhere else cheaper. I'm not at all sure what I'll decide-but nor am I an a real hurry to decide- so stay tuned on that decision.

When I was in Canada I brought back a few of my favourite travel purchases- a small watercolour postcard from Venice and a pretty one from St Paul in France. The glass and frame for Venice survived, but not for St Paul. After carefully measuring the thing to see what size of frame I needed to buy- and concluding I wouldn't find one with a matting that would fit, I decided I had best go with an 8 X 10 and the white matting I'd used in the last frame. I went to the Warehouse and picked up a cheap frame that advertised to be 8 X 10. When I tried to slip in my photo- it didn't fit. A measuring revealed both the external and internal dimensions to be smaller than 8 X 10. And not a recognizable size either- no 5 X 7- but some obscure dimension. I'll have to storm back with my receipt and tape measure sometime soon and get a refund to look for something that will fit.

I tried another run this morning narrowly beating the storm. I have real problems with my 2nd toenails- even in 5 kms, they get pretty sore. When I did the half marathon back in 2007 they fell off. Last year when I did my 10kms they got really thick and yucky. Today I ran with blister plasters on 2 nasty blisters I obtained when walking to work in new shoes on Friday without any pain. I wonder if these wonderful blister plasters would help alleviate my second toe problems that come from running.

Ooh- and some interesting news that I can't believe I missed. (I'm sure it was announced when I was in Canada). From November you will not be able to talk on a cell phone (unless hands free, I believe) or text when driving.

Monday tomorrow. Boy the weekends seem to whirl by much more quickly than the equivalent amount of weekday.

No comments: