Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Training for Auckland Half

A few months back a friend and I snuck under the wire, registering for the Auckland Half Marathon on the weekend, and finding out just a day later that  it was full.   I was really keen to do a longer race; my first and only half marathon was in early 2007 during my first year in NZ.  I thought the October date would be good as it would help me keep up my jogging during the dark winter months; however that idea failed.  As soon as May rolled around I pretty much stopped.  I have only started going out 4 weeks ago a couple of times a week after work for the 5km return jog along Rocks Road.   This is one of the few region locales I don't mind running in the dark.  Only this past weekend have I increased my distance doing a trial jog of 10kms.  I've now got 3 months to go and 2 weeks of that I will be in Canada. 

I've got a few things to battle this time around:  I got the dreaded black runners toenail when i swapped running shoes last year.  I did another switch on the weekend having visted the Shoe Clinic and ran on the treadmill for the assessment of the new shoes I am trialling.  They couldn't figure out what is causing it however I'm hoping my new Brooks pair of runners will be kinder to my feet that Mizuno or Adidas have been.  Mizuno felt great when I bought them, but I have been getting blisters on the same foot as the black toenail.    Adidas felt big and clunky.   I've been out for 16 kms so far in the new shoes.   They have a 30 day return policy so I have a bit more time to figure it out...  Wish me luck.

No comments: