Monday, September 10, 2012

Calf Muscles & Double Entries

The Auckland half is getting closer and closer and I had just started to feel I was turning the corner.  I was up to 25km weeks, the runs were getting easier, and I ran my first ever 5kms that took less than 30 minutes; and wouldn't you know it; my right calf has started playing up.  After the first pain I went out again a few days later for 8kms.  It was then quite sore and I took a whole week off.  5kms yesterday has left it a little sore.  I hope it doesn't get any worse; time is short...  It will be tricky to continue training over the next 2 weeks as will be in Canada.

In other things, did you ever start to wonder about the origins of something you're in the middle of every day?   So was the case today for me when someone asked who invented Double entry accounting.  I had no idea.   Wikipedia doesn't have a clear answer either but it appears to date back to approximately the 13th century in Florence/Italy.  Big names angle in the write up including the Medicis.  And certainly Leonardo da Vincis mate Pacioli put it into a math book by the late 1400s.  I can't imagine being an accountant pre-calculator or pre-computer. It would have been a bit tedious for me, I think.  I think my career would have led me somewhere else... 



 

No comments: