Friday, February 08, 2008

Of planes and market days

So I had to bring up the plane thing to let you all know I wasn't on the plane. It seems to have made international news, already... http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/nzealand_hijack It was the talk of the office this am. The planes that fly out of Blenheim are quite small. No overhead lockers, and typically one seat on either side of the tiny aisle. And as reported, no security checks. (They reported a total of 7 passengers on this plane, which probably isn't atypical).
The stuff.co.nz article has a bit more detail. http://www.stuff.co.nz/4392665a10.html It was a woman with 2 knives, so says this article, that injured the 2 pilots. (Note- no cabin doors in these tiny aircraft.) I'm sure this will bring domestic airport security under review, if nothing else. But they don't think there is a great risk of hijack. Definitely not a lot of passengers ever flying out on those tiny planes.

The boil water advisory in Blenheim continues. This only affects me at work as I'm not living in Blenheim.

Market day in Blenheim went off today- despite the protests in the paper that nearly prompted me to write a letter to the editor for the first time since my university days. One of the shop owners, and 2 courier drives objected to closing a couple of the core streets off for this one day a year event, which has lots of booths - where food, craft, and all sorts of interesting gadgets are on sale in the run up to the Marl. Wine festival which runs tomorrow. In my view, having an envigourated downtown- even if it is only for a day- isn't a bad thing for a town. Lots of towns have pedestrian only walkways in the shopping district... I'm sure this town can handle it for ONE day!

One week + a weekend away from my wisdom tooth surgery. NOT looking forward to it...

Very much looking forward to the weekend- and it being Friday- starts now. Off I go...

No comments: