Sunday, June 22, 2008

A rainy weekend...

I completed my law examination on Friday. YAY!!! And I got a haircut in the morning (long overdue!), and picked up some clothing which had to be altered (due to no petite sizes in NZ), and bought a pretty red sweater (read- warm...). Friday was a very good day... at least after the exam was over!

Yesterday I decided to do some laundry, it being a beautiful day- however I forgot it was the shortest day of the year. About 3 o'clock it started clouding up and the temp dropped. Regardless, I decided to leave my towels and PJs hanging on the line outside. Bad choice... Heavy winds and rain overnight and today completely saturated them... The nature of the weather makes me think of Shakespeare- and Macbeth- for some reason. My poor pjs. I'm left with less warm backup pairs- until they finally dry. It could take several days with the forecast the way it is. (I'm not complaining, it hasn't really rained in my 1.5 months back in Nelson).

The market on Saturday was great fun. I can't begin to say how nice it was just to spend a mellow day back in Nelson. I love this town.

It's hard to believe I've been back over a month. I still haven't started the regular jog out to Tahuna beach- excepting that one Sunday afternoon. I am waiting for the days to get longer. Also I was taking a latin/ballroom dance class before I left- it was really tiny but it was great. I'd like to find something similiar. Am also keen to try out the Med. Foodstore's cooking class night- which occurs something like about once a month- and spend some time checking out books at the library... Nelson recently missed out on an opera due to lack of venue. Shame... I do miss Regina's Globe & the Annual Opera Sask events. However before I get all classed and activitied up, I have to remember that my tax class starts quite soon and I need to factor in time. I think it was something crazy according to the Open Polytech book- maybe 8 or 10 hours a week or something. I'm not sure if I actually spent that on law.

The election is also coming up this year. It would be GREAT to volunteer over here, as well. Permanent residents have the right to vote in NZ, interestingly. Being on this list also means that I could be selected for jury duty. Not sure how they come up with the Canadian jury duty lists.

Now I'm off to bed, having had my electric blanket on so I will be all nice and toasty warm. At least until I wake up chilly at 4am. :) But the rain should keep the temp up, so it shouldn't be so bad tonight, anyway.... We had one morning of hard frost last week- and my window scraper from Canada came in oh so handy!

No comments: