Wednesday, July 09, 2008

A cold July...

Brr.... Brrr.... Brrr.... It was -2 this morning and -3 yesterday morning, and the window scraper that I brought back from Canada was certainly coming in handy. It is a funny thing- you think -2 or -3 is pretty warm- it is not at all the nasty -30 with a windchill that you get in Saskatchewan. But in NZ -2 means wearing thermals and breathing out frost when you get up in the morning due to the lack of insulation and central heating. I will never get used to it...

I can't wait for the days to get longer! I washed laundry a few weeks ago and we got some rain overnight. Like many kiwis, we don't have a dryer, but Nelson had an untypical couple of weeks of rain- so trying to get the laundry dry didn't work so well. I had to redo it all- after it got the musty damp odour. This time it dried.

Mr. George, the flatties cat has damaged my camera irreplacably. He is an attention seeker- and when he spotted my camera on the counter he must have decided a great way to get attention would be to jump on the counter and push it to the floor. So I won't be posting any photos until I get a new one... I am indecisive on the brand. I liked the panasonic lumix, but it definitely wasn't very hardy. The Sony I had previously was hardier, but broke in less than a year. I've now spent about $900 in 2 years on cameras- and have no working cameras to show for it. This makes me caution to purchase another one...

I just splashed out on books. The Warehouse had $5-7 books! Consider that purchasing a typical magazine costs $4-10- what a bargain! I stocked up.

My tax class starts next week. Ugg. Distance education is not easy to get motivated for... I still have another 4 weeks or so before I get back the Law results.

I attended my first Kiwi Quiz night the other weekend. I am not so good at trivia. I knew something about Harry Potter, and something abour Narnia. Pitty there weren't any questions about current affairs, or Canadian politics. :)

1 comment:

Heather said...

I hear ya!

On the camera note... I think you should look at the Olympus shock-resistant / water-proof version... you really can't destroy it! I've heard that it doesn't necessarily take fantastic shots in poor lighting, but I had positive experiences with it on my cycle trip last year, so the newer versions might be getting better...