Thursday, July 16, 2009

The big earthquake

There was a 7.8 magnitude earthquake at 9.22pm last night. I don't remember feeling it- but I was in bed early last night and something woke me up. I wonder if that was what it was. Others in Nelson felt it. My flatmate was at orchestra rehearsal where it interrupted their music- she looked up and could see the lights swaying overhead. There have been 4 aftershocks so far, I have not felt any of them from Nelson. This is one of NZ's biggest earthquakes in recorded history but damage has been surprisingly light so far compared to similar sized quakes. It hit Fiordland which isn't a populated area- and apparently also had a favourable motion compared to other types of quakes. Read more about it here: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/2598128/Southland-hit-by-repeated-earthquakes

In other news I leave for Canada in 3 days!! Yay. Only one work day to go- and I'm counting down.

1 comment:

Sandra said...

Earthquakes - there's something a Saskatchewan girl doesn't experience often! Crazy. Yay countdown...can't wait to see you!