Sunday, December 13, 2009

The adventuerer & other things

It was a busy week last week with month end stuff on the go, which means usually some later working evenings.

I had my first "rental property" inspection on Friday. I'm with an agent and they sent a letter about a week in advance saying they'd be here about 10am on friday. I left a note on the door and the counter telling them to be careful not to let Allie out! When I returned home from work at lunch on Friday to feed her I found a calender from them and a note saying the place was looking great. I didn't think it was looking great- probably more just lived in. I wonder what they were expecting. I also asked them to look at the cold water tap- which you have to turn so hard to get it on that I tend to avoid using it. It's equally as hard to turn off. We'll see if they manage to do anything about it.

On Friday night we took little Allie on her first big adventure to the Sounds. She travelled reasonably well in both the car and on the boat and settled in quite comfortably to the bach. She found new places to explore, and new "toys" to play with. All was good. Saturday I took her out for a short stroll on her harness- which she has finally gotten the hang of. I was proud of her as she strolled around exploring- for the first 4 or 5 times she was on it, she didn't budge. Today the trip back did not impress her at all. She did well in the boat again, but got grumpy on the car ride back and cried enough times I felt like a horrible cat owner. Of course, she was fine, just being a little dramatic. Once she got home, the cage door was opened, and she crawled right into the snugglepuss pink bed which is the single most expensive item I've purchased for her. It took her tiredness from travel to discover it, but she looked so cute in it. Hopefully it's a new favourite for her. She's now up from her nap, and is once again looking to get hyper and start tearing through the house.

I went and bought a pack of 12 marigolds today and they're now planted in front of the house in the "weed" bed. I've tore up half of the weeks, and think perhaps that some of them are actually herbs that have gone out of control. One smelled a lot like lemon- I wonder if it was lemon thyme.

Last week I also sprayed about $12 worth of the $16 bottle of ant spray around the outside of the house in the hopes that it would help me gain the upper hand on the nasty ants which have been taking over the place. Initially I had only noticed them in Allie's room- which they now seem to have vacated. But annoyingly they're taking up residence in my room- I find them in my bedding and crawling all over. They're occasionally in the bathroom- but this is usually worst when I leave the windows open. I also put out some bait stations. Hopefully it'll have helped, but I think I may exhaust this bottle of spray this week and need to go purchase more. The one good thing is they hadn't taken control of the kitchen just yet.

Christmas times a coming, and it doesn't feel like it for this Northern hemisphere girl. First off, its no where near as commercial here. Secondly its the middle of summer and there isn't the same sort of light/ decoration phase. Thirdly- the season isn't right for all the Christmas carols. No snow. No sleighbells. No sleigh. That said, I'm not sad to be missing the -30 weather settling in over Saskatchewan right now. We haven't had much summer weather yet but it was warm today- it must have been low to mid 20s.

I'm not planning on taking much off for holidays over the Christmas period. One day perhaps, as my new second kitten is due to arrive just before the new year. This kitten already knows Allie- and I hope they'll get along well.

No comments: