Monday, December 28, 2009

Waging war on ants, and books, and other...

Okay, so I'm still having an ant problem. I've sprayed all visible previous entrance sites - and they appear to be all clear- no more signs of ants... but I still have ants indoors. They were crawling on my bed and in my bedding. I went to pour a glass of water and there was even an ant in there. Grr. I was getting tired of ants. I've started to try another method- I bought one of those "raid" every 5 minute dispensors and put it in the bathroom. It's done a super find job of dropping those ants in their tracks. Hurray. I have noticed ants crawling up through cracks in the wood floors. I have also noted ants crawling on the ceiling. I think the ants live under and perhaps above the house. Hopefully they'll stay there more as I continue to battle them!!

I read a few books over the Christmas period. The one that really stood out as very interesting was "The Life of Pi"- what a tale and interesting read... it was, as one review indicated, a page turner.

So yes, I've had a Christmas break. I spent a few days in the Marlborough Sounds where the weather was fine, but windy. Little Allie had a great time exploring- but I think she now has her "trouble" hat on.

I arrived home after about 4 days away to find my garden has taken off. The volunteer pumpkin which was a tiny wee plant has probably doubled in size and has a nice sized blossom. Now 2 of my tomato plants have baby tomatoes on them. My petunias or is it pansies have exploded in colour. A rose has opened in the back yard and is looking absolutely lovely. The marigolds are looking rather ill still, and one of the silver beets has died, but all in all- quite impressed so far with the progress!

No comments: