Tuesday, January 05, 2010

What a difference another makes




photos: Allie & Jasper
On 29th December my second kitten arrived via Air NZ from Auckland. He's a blue colourpoint, about 6-7 weeks younger than little Allie. I was NOT anticipating the major envy displayed by Allie. They can not be in the same room unsupervised. It's now been about a week and only in the last day or two has Allie stopped focusing on little Jasper every moment he is in the room. You couldn't turn your back for a minute as she'd be leaping at him. Now they've graduated into a play relationship- tiny little Jasper attacks Allie with gusto, even though he's much, much smaller than her. He can be seen pushing her out of the food dish, and also chasing her across the room. He thinks he's a big fellow... It also shows me how much she has grown in the time I've had her. I can't wait until they are better friends and can be left alone unsupervised. All the watching has been tiring.




I had a quiet NY eve, and was in bed before midnight. It's not so much the moment of the new year that matters to me as much as what the whole NY will represent. Several years ago I read a journalist saying that their resolution was to try something new. I used that as one of mine several years ago- and it was a good one. Each week- whether it be a new recipe or a new running route, I tried something new. It was good for staying out of the comfort zone and making exciting new litle discoveries. I can't say I've made a resolution this year, but I shall endeavour to be a little more active in pursuing things that make me me. I'm on the road to that, having finally become a kitten owner. I shall endeavour to pursue more of the same.




It doesn't feel like we've had much of a summer yet and already the days are shortening. I'd like to get out camping or something in the near future- but with the young and therefore higher maintenance kittens, that doesn't seem particuarly likely this year.




No comments: