Sunday, September 10, 2006

Grampians

I did a little clocking of my walk today... I climbed ~380 metres, from the ~2-10m I reside at, to 390m in a distance of ~2.2 kms.  (Plus ~ another km from home).  So a nice 6km or so return.  It was much easier this week than last!  I think it helps to not eat right before going.  It was a lovely sunny day with a light breeze, and the view of Nelson and area from above is lovely...  I also saw a pair of bunnies running through the bush.

Something else that deserves a mention: two times in the past week I've been stopped on my walk home by observant Nelson townsfolk.  One told me about a bunny he encountered right in town that had no fear.  The other showed me a pair of 3 leaves that had fallen to the ground. One was a bright red, one an orange, and one was brown.  He pointed out the beauty and contrasts of nature... I wonder- do people like this exist back at home?  Do people stop to smell the flowers, enjoy the moment, and observe? Or like I was, are they often too busy running around from place to place?  Nelson has been good for me.  Of this I have no doubt.

The flowers and blooms are out in full force, with their amazing colours and scents.  There is so much sun in Nelson, and often the nice breeze. There is such a diversity of greenery- from the big thick trees, to the ferns... To the possum that got into the neighbours flat!  (I still don't know what they look like, however.) Lemons and other fruit grow throughout the area.  Sunny Nelson is a lovely little spot ,and feels smaller than its 50,000 population.


Now you can have a huge leap forward in email: get the new Yahoo! Mail.

No comments: