Monday, June 22, 2009

Of ice and hoar frost...

It's been cold here by Nelson standards. We're talking the coldest in 20 years, according to today's paper. There have been 8 and 9 degree frosts over the past few nights. Overnight air temp lows are forecast at about -1 for the next few nights and it even dipped to -2 recently. I'm still toasty warm in my nice apartment. At work, however, it is freezing unless we keep the heat pump on the go. I did manage to find some winter sweaters on sale on the weekend so I don't have to go to work and sit in my puffer jacket all day long.

I went for a walk on the weekend up the Aniseed Valley (near Nelson) and it was absolutely delightful. Hoar frost, big icicles on the creek, and frozen over mud puddles. It reminded me of spring in Saskatchewan when we'd jump on the ice and fall through- and then eventually get into the garden in rubber boots with hefty amounts of mud. Ah it was so very nice to walk in the "white" of the frosts. I so should have brought my camera. I'll have to try again another time and share some photo evidence of how very lovely it is to have a bit of frost without all the snow!!

There have been amazing sunsets in the last week or two. I'll try and post some photos next time I do a download. They've been SO stunning. It's hard to beat a beautiful sunset, but a beautiful sunset over water does it.

No comments: