Friday, August 18, 2006

Irony of firestarting...

So I had mentioned the frosts were back... 2 days ago it was SO COLD I didn't want to get out of bed in the morning.  Even my hardy flatmate said she had to add extra blankets. When I arrived home from work I attempted to start the fire- for 2 HOURS before I finally got it going.  People say when you move away to a strange place you should be prepared for some frustration and tears.  They almost came for the first time trying to get the fire going, as it burned my kindling and 8 beehives and 4 other firestarters, but wouldn't catch hold...  (And then just after I got it going, I locked myself out of the flat.)  But luckily things improved from there.
 
Yesterday it wasn't nearly as cold, and I got the fire going in all of 5 minutes!!!  Murphy's law I guess. :)  Hard to start on the cold day, and not when we're not in the middle of deep frosts.
 
I've been in Nelson a month and my impressions of the town are that it is a lovely place to settle down.  That being said, I sort of wonder why I am here :)  I'm getting the restless itch like it is time to move on but I think I'll be working here for a little while yet- I'm not sure yet when this contract will end.  The weather is definitely great, even with the frosts.  3 cab drivers have indicated they came here for a visit and decided to stay and I can understand why.  It would be a great place to raise a family.
 
People keep asking for photos and I keep trying to take some, but I can't get in one little camera angle how lovely it is walking along the Matai to work, or of the light reflecting on the homes on the hill as I walk to work.  So I don't yet have enough taken to shell out at the internet cafe to burn and upload them. I'll keep trying to find a shot or two.
 
I might take the bus and venture out a little this weekend to some neighbouring areas, if the weather holds.  It's delightfully forecast NOT to frost!!  Hurray :)
 


All new Yahoo! Mail -
Get a sneak peak at messages with a handy reading pane.

No comments: