Saturday, August 12, 2006

My skydive

Quietly and without fanfare, I completed my first tandem sky dive this afternoon with Abel Tandem Skydives, Nelson. I was picked up at 12:30 and back home by ~2:30. 2 other women jumped at the same time as me. (But thankfully I was the first one out!) I wasn't too afraid in the plane ride up which I hadn't anticipated. The view was AWESOME- and there was a great rainbow. My tandem dive master was PK like and superb! He kept me comfortable and informed about the various sites and what was going to happen and what he was doing as he checked and double checked our attachments. We jumped out at 13,000 feet into a cloud and I honestly couldn't tell you if we went backwards or forwards. That first bit was the coolest!! Then I had the tap on my back as my divemaster indicated I could spread my arms out. You fall pretty darn fast, but we were falling through cloud for a good while and really the only way you know you're going so fast is that your face is SO SO COLD!! Also as usual my one ear began its tricks of feeling like it does when I have a cold. The divemaster moved his arms up from down by my waist, so I knew the chute was about to open- and so it did. The up pull wasn't as bad as I had anticipated. This occurs at ~ 5,000 feet and you do get a great chance at the view. I must say that, although I appreciated the view I almost preferred the freefall, as the leg straps do cut in a fair bit. The divemaster did a few spins in the air until he realized I wasn't so keen on that... :) He explained the landing, he landed first and then I stood up and we were on ground!! Interesting experience, and again one I would recommend- mostly for the freefall!! His office, he said- he'd been jumping 9 years getting paid to excite and scare people. Indeed... I recommend Abel Tasman dives with their complimentary pick up and drop off at Nelson. We made it just in time. The rain started on our descent, and the group behind us were delayed hoping for a break in the weather. (Note that it is almost always beautiful in Nelson, but there are always exceptions).

No comments: