Friday, August 11, 2006

Kitties and other misc. topics

So yesterday I reviewed my asb bank statement online and discovered a shockingly high!! $7 of interest on my July NZ account.  They must have crazily high interest rates here, as I didn't transfer too much in.  There was a partially offsetting auto entry - income tax to IRD of over $2.  I guess that is one way to make sure they get their share.
 
My flatmate hasn't been around too much this week so I've been looking after ms. kitty.  Tuesday night and Wednesday night she annoyed me greatly whining outside the glass doors to the deck that are in my bedroom.  First it was at about 3am and then at about 4 am.  I let her in both nights and was a little grumpy about it. Yesterday morning when I went outside to feed her, she came back inside with me and left her food, which  was very unusual for a fat and perpetually hungry cat...  This morning it was 5 am and I decided to ignore kitty outside.  About 6am I decided that it would be so unusual for kitty to change all her behaviour and there might be a cause.  Sure enough, her cat flap had switched to "red" from "green" meaning she couldn't get back from outside.  Poor kitty- she had chosen to stay in yesterday morning over food, and here I had ignored her last night.  I then had to try and convince her that her flap was working.  It is funny that she was convinced it wasn't.  I had to show her it half open and she had to go through it 2 times before I think she was convinced she could get back in again.   Moral of the story from a cat:  Sometimes changes in behaviour have causes that are worth investigating.
 
Today as I walked to work this morning I was beginning to wish I had brought my camera.  One of my favourite spots on the Mattai river is where this old tree leans right over the river, and there was a lovely reflection of the tree branches on the water...  It isn't so pretty in words, but trust me it was good.  This occured while "Vienna" by Billy Joel was playing on my mp3 player...  I had the "13 Going on 30" soundrack in my car for ages and ages, and I bet I had heard this song about 100 times, when for some reason I actually listened to the words one day...    I think they reflected a little of me and my hectic work/ volunteer life in Regina.  Take a read of the lyrics if you're interested.  I like it.   Anyway, it was just perfect to see the beautiful tree and water reflection as Vienna played.  It really was a great way to start the day.
 
I managed to start a fire yesterday again.  The temperature has again dropped, and there was frost on the bridge I cross to come to work this morning.   My flatmate had showed me how to chop kindling a while back, and I'm still not so good at it.  I of course selected a piece of wood with a large knot which I didn't see in the dark. (It of course being dark when I get home from work, and chop wood).  The ax was stuck for quite some time, but I eventually got it out and selected something better.   It was also a good workout, so I was warm even before the fire.
 
It was a beautiful walk home yesterday as well.  Pink at night, so they say, sailor's delight.  Today does look like a nice day.
 
Kiwi accent of the day.  Mark almost sounds like "mock", however garage is "Gare- age (with the age as in "voyage", almost like "edge").  I thought I had the "ar"s down, but I guess I don't.


Be smarter than spam. See how smart SpamGuard is at giving junk email the boot with the All-new Yahoo! Mail

No comments: