Monday, August 07, 2006

Rainy days

At the internet cafe on the weekend I think I figured out how to post without accessing blogger.com.  We'll see if this posts, and if so I did figure it out!
 
I'm beginning to realize how much more aware of the weather I am here.  Back home it could be -30 in the winter which wasn't pleasant, but it wasn't a huge deal for me, as I drove in my car to work and didn't spent much time outside.  Similarly, if it was rainy I merely turned on the wipers and it didn't bother me.  Yesterday (Sunday) and today were both rainy in my sunny Nelson.  This means instead of the nice walk I was planning on in the hills yesterday, kitty and I had a nap and read and watched tv.  Today I walked the 40 minutes to work in the rain sporting my outer layer columbia waterproof jacket with hood, and the umbrella.  The sidewalks are not so good, as although the roads have drains, the sidewalks just build up in water in many places.  I kept jumping onto the road to miss the 3 inch deep puddles on the sidewalk, keeping in mind the tradeoff of the spashes from the cars driving by.  I've come to the conclusion that walking in the rain doesn't make me start my day in a happy fashion. I'm beginning to think there is an umbrella etiquette which I haven't quite figured out, but several folks approaching me to pass changed the angles of their umbrellas.  If it's still rainy on the walk home I'll try and figure out the pattern... It is still raining, at lunch.  As well, I've become quite aware of the outside temparature, because it often becomes the inside temperate.  I thought I was getting hardy of late, however I realized reading the paper that day time lows have been in the + 6 range, instead of the +1 range.  I'm really quite surprised how much of a difference the 5 degrees can make!     Maybe I'm ready to be a farmer now that I'm aware of the influences of weather.
 
Anyhow,
 
I haven't talked much about NZ TV.  With my evenings free of work I admit my flatmate and I have spent some time TV watching.  NZ has its own soap opera called Shortland Street. I haven't watched it, but it is there.  The "free" channels we get are TV1, TV2, TV3 and Prime.  There is an interesting mix of programming- Coronation Street is on in the evenings several times a week.  Desparate Housewives is on, the finale is tonight.  Wife Swap is on.  That show with the US man with 3 wives is on.  Scrubs is on.  Grey's Anatomy.  Sunday nights CSI Miami is on.  I see that ER is now coming.  (The TV shows are just winding up for the season- the final of Grey's Anatomy is tonight).  Amazing  Race has about 3 or 4 episodes to go from last seasons.  Survivor is already over.  NZ Idol is just starting again.  TV shows don't necessarily start on the hour- they sometimes start at XX:35 for example.  The programming appears, per the TV guide, to be on all night as well, instead of "colours" like we'd have at home on CBC.
 
Vocabulary differnece of the day:
 
I'm trying to learn to say tomato with the focus on the mat instead of "toe".  There is no "toe" in tomato here.
 
 
 


All new Yahoo! Mail
Get news delivered. Enjoy RSS feeds right on your Mail page.

No comments: