Sunday, November 26, 2006

Adventures in Auckland...

I arrived into Auckland yesterday morning... It was my return to the place (including the same hostel) where my NZ adventures began...
 
I spent the day yesterday touring Auckland.  A cool place to visit was Kelly Tarlton's Underwater Adventures where we saw lots of cool water life including stingrays... Also really cool squids that look almost translucent. It's hard to describe.  They have this tunnel thing that you walk under that is clear glass and the fish swim all over.  It was also my first time seeing penguins...  We also went up to a number of volcanic cones including One Tree Hill, as well as over to Devonport.  I can't begin to say how much I love that place... It's like Tahunha beach in Nelson for me.
 
Last night was the big night of U2!  I purchased a program and was shocked to find later that it cost me $35.  Woops... Oh well...  The place was packed with I think ~50,000.  I was sitting next to a friendly, chatty fellow from Welly with great dreads.  Even though we were in the stadium seats as opposed to on the ground everyone was standing the whole time...  Lots of olders and Vertigo songs during the tour...  He of course finished with One Tree Hill- and he also sported an All Blacks Jersey for part of the last encore.    I was pleased to hear my favourite U2 song, "where the streets have no name".  By the response of the crowd, it's not only a favourite for me.   The weather was great, and it was really cool when everyone in the stadium held out their cells... The lights were great...  Bono was wearing a "one" shirt for part of the show and there were folks out collecting signatures for Make Poverty History...   Some folks near me had attended the prior night as well, and indicated that last night's show was even better.  I haven't been to a lot of concerts, but I'm not sure I'll ever be at another one that would top this one in beautiful weather Auckland as U2 winds up their long Vertigo tour.
 
Today I'm off to explore a little more of Auckland on foot- including the shops, yes.  We'll visit some of the places I first visited in June... I'm curious if my impressions still will hold.
 
 


Share your photos with the people who matter at Yahoo! Canada Photos

No comments: