Thursday, April 23, 2009

Time marches on...

Wow, almost time for another month end. Doesn't time fly...

In the news in NZ there has been plenty of talk about a 21 year old Canadian Inuit person who was visiting NZ and became offended when she discovered you could buy candies called "eskimos". The candy makers say the candies will stay. http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/2348856/Kiwi-confectionery-leaves-bad-taste


The temperature has started to drop and the days are noticably shorter. My lovely apartment is still nice and warm. This is going to be one different winter, I think. Warmer. Warmer. Warmer. I'm still going to get the electric blanket out though, when it gets down to around 0. What a wonderful invention!

I went for a morning run today for the first time in ages. It's hard to get motivated in the dark with the morning smoke from the logburners hanging int he air. I shall have to think about finding a different running route. I registered for a quarter marathon next weekend. I'm not quite fit enough for the half this time around.

Saturday is Anzac Day. According to the experts at wikipedia: Anzac Day is a national public holiday in Australia and New Zealand, and is commemorated by both countries on 25 April every year to honour members of the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps (ANZAC) who fought at Gallipoli in Turkey during World War I. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ANZAC_Day for more

Poppies are sold mostly on the day just before Anzac day, similar to how people wear poppies around Remembrance Day in Canada.

In technology news, I recently bought a very well priced 8g usb drive for under $34. What a bargain! I've now backed up all my photos, as I haven't printed any since I've been in NZ.

I've now tweeted twice during my time on twitter. I'm following a few like CNN Breaking news, and political ticker. It's still a novelty for me.

No comments: