Wednesday, February 03, 2010

A commentary on "trouble"

So- last night in the middle of the night I had a number of elloquent words to write here. Perhaps I should have had a notepad by my bed to have taken notes because thinking about it they don't sound very elloquent now. Maybe it was only my level of awake-ness that made them seem elloquent in my head. Anyway, I was planning on writing about the power of "one". I know the power of one. One can always make a difference. I know- because I have a kitten named Jasper. Before he came along, his big sister Allie was the perfect kitten coming to bed with me all night and SLEEPING! Jasper is a ringleader and she gets into the post midnight LOUD play sessions too now. First I tried shutting the bedroom door- but that didn't dim the noise. Then I tried locking Jasper in his bedroom and closing the door. He cried and cried and I felt sorry for the poor lad. Eventually I have him a break and let him out. Fortunately it worked- he decided to be my best friend and followed me to bed and to sleep- however big sister was still wound up and jumped around and knocked things over and made all sorts of noise.

With Jasper, if it isn't one thing, it is another. My little prince started with a bed wetting problem (my bed). That has thankfully stopped, but once he gets over his one thing, he always moves right onto another. I realized as I was about to head to work this morning that I hadn't seen Jasper in about 10 minutes. I searched the house and his normal hiding places without a sign of him. (Note: my ragdoll cats don't tend to disappear unless it is to sleep- they like to stay in the same room as you). I had a hunch: I visited the windows and sure enough the laundry one seemed opened more than I had remembered. I searched the back yard, no Jasper. The front yard- no Jasper. And finally the side of the house- there he was- with his tail puffed out like a paintbrush. I retrieved him, shut all the windows in the house, and headed for work... He can't be trusted. But fortunately, he did it while I was at home- those windows have been open just a little bit for weeks- this is the first time he decided to push and open it further so he could fit out.

No comments: