Sunday, January 14, 2007

Kiwi language...

It's always rather interesting when a group of Canadians and kiwis get together, such as at our flat a couple of times this week for supper.  Whether it be discussing the different versions of "cards" that we play, or discussing differences in language...
 
I heard a new one... Our pronunciation of "t"s appearing in the middle of words is often more like a "d".  Think about it and it is true... Contrast rattle and rat. 
It is quite interesting how language (at least the first one) is second nature, and you don't think about things phonetically- or how you would have to if you were just learning a language.  Sometimes I feel like I'm learning a new language, but it's just kiwi speak... And there are a diversity of kiwi accents.  The folks in the Nelson areas drop the "r"s, much like the part of the US which has "harvard" university- as an American couple we met when out for supper one night pointed out...  There are so many different sayings it is continually interesting... Plus the different way of saying things.  I love it... :)
 
The training for the half marathon continues... Actually I must say I've been rather naughty and taken about 3 weeks on a very light load. Things just didn't happen so well over the Christmas week and then I injured myself and was off about a week and then it rained about a week and puppy sitting which was a convenient excuse.  I've done a lot more walking over the past bit than running.  I did my first 8kms this am and decided to crank it up and double the run.  The next 4km were sweet, my time improved and I felt great.  I felt I was "in the zone"...  however this was only until I turned back and had to run into a rather strong wind the next 2kms... It wiped me out and definitely ruled out the possibility of going any more than 16kms today...   I'm done puppy sitting on Tuesday which should make the training life much easier... (Although I'm still not REALLY looking forward to the early morning awakenings to head out for my 8kms.)
 
A few friends and I went for a walk on the beach last night.  It was timed perfectly between the rain showers...  It is really that spot that got me into the jogging bit.  It's worth a wee run, just for the chance to stand there for 5 minutes.   It's a special place and I love it every time...  This hasn't faded in my 6 months in Nelson.


The best gets better. See why everyone is raving about the All-new Yahoo! Mail.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is great info to know.