Friday, July 07, 2006

Farewell to Auckland, for a time...


First off- see me and my ice dude date. This was taken at 5 below my first night in Auckland. They supply the parkas and gloves (included in the $27 entry fee... The cost of agreeing to go somewhere before you find out the cost...)

Since I depart for Nelson tomorrow afternoon (aboard Air New Zealand), I thought I had better take the opportunity to do a few things here in Auckland today.

It being the city of sails, I decided it was time to hit the water. I took the Devonport fairy from the ferry building ($9 return). Walking through this area and seeing people playing with their dogs on the beach or out with their kids, and an elderly couple out for a walk made me think if I was living in the area with a family, this would be a nice area. I really enjoyed it. It was really neat to walk the beach and see seashells, and watch the boats go by. The overlook in Devonport that I visited has some historical significance. It was used as an outlook in years gone by, and there are still some remnants of that as well.

Arriving back in the CBD I went for a stroll. It had been receiving negative reviews from others I talked with, so I decided it was my turn to try some kiwi food- meat pies with wedges. Despite what people had said, I didn't mind it at all.

An update on the job situation: I head to Nelson and I've booked my first couple of nights in the YHA hostel there. I work Monday/ Tuesday this week, and have Wed-Friday off before I start full time the following Monday. I'll have a better sense about what is ahead in the next few days.

I'm ready to move on from Auckland, for a time and see what Nelson brings.

No comments: