Saturday, July 29, 2006

Kia ora from Wellington

Well, it is becoming a habit with me. The cheapest and quickest way to get from point A to point B in NZ seems to be to fly. Air New Zealand has cheap little link flights many times a day from the popular destinations. This is a good way to do a weekend trip, as I'm saving most of my sightseeing for a big trip by vehicle. Unfortunately I waited a bit to book meaning I didn't get the choice flight times. I was up much earlier than weekdays! Flying at sunrise, though was rather lovely. My flight arrived an an unpleasant time, as I missed the shuttle by 10 minutes, so I waited another 40. I've just arrived at Base Backpackers Wellington. (I decided to give something other than YHA a try.) Wellington is definitely windy! Waiting for the shuttle there were plastic bags just booting across the airport parking lot. My agenda for today includes Te Papa, or walking a bit- depending on the forecast for today and tomorrow. I want to do a tour of the parliament buildings here as well. I expect to spend quite some time in Te Papa. I'm just waiting another few minutes to be able to drop my bag for the day before I head out.

On the ride in another NZ difference occured to me. They are required to get "WOFs"for their cars (Aka Warrants of Fitness) meaning all vehicles on the road have been safety'd, in effect. They also have to register, but they DO NOT have to insure. Quite different than back in Saskatchewan on both fronts.

I've had more of a chance to meet some kiwis over the past week. I went for supper with a group of the accountants from work on Thursday. It was interesting how the work conversations in Nelson seem, without fail, to turn to family. I've been very impressed with the interest of kiwis in Canada as well. It's funny- to them it isn't at all wierd that I'm here doing my OE as they call it (overseas experience). One of the accountants had done his in the UK. So many of them go elsewhere to live for a while before they settle down. Some of them don't come back though, as apparently it is easier to make a decent living elsewhere- such as in Aus or the UK. One of the folks I met wondered where in Canada the rodeos were- however I thought he was saying it as in Rodeo drive, if that's how you spelled it. It's taking me heaps of time to catch on to some of the words and lingo and accents that make conversation a little different in NZ. It's good fun though. But back to the OE. So far, I'm really enjoying it. Despite the itch I get on the road or running into other travellers, I am happy I settled into a job first. The folk have been really good as well- offering to loan me bikes, giving me rides, etc. The people in Nelson that I've met are really lovely. There is no other way to say it.

Work went all right this week for it being my first week flying solo. But now we're into month end, so we shall see how that goes! My first time from this side of the fence on the month end business. I'm loving the walk in the morning, although it now only takes ~35 minutes. Rochelle (my flatmates) former flatmates tip to walk along the river was great- as it is both more beautiful and quicker. I pass ducks every morning, and check out the tides. (I was rather surprised to learn how much they can vary from day to day.)

The produce here is rather expensive right now. E.g. tomato for $8.99 per kg. Cucumber for $5 each. Green pepper (or capsiums, as they are called here) for $3 each. Rochelle (my flatmate) tells me that the prices are quite seasonal here- as kiwis grow most of their own produce. Prices should drop later in the year.

Speaking of produce, I couldn't believe it when I was walking home the other day and just a block a way a neighbour had out a table with bags of lemons and grapefruits- and a little money jar with a sign $1/bag. I guess I shouldn't be too surprised- bags of grapes and lemons have appeared in the lunch room at work.

I tried my first NZ tuna this week. Surprisingly, I didn't mind it. I'm loving stopping by the grocery most nights for fresh bread, and something to make for supper. That is something I woúldn't have done at home- and I love having the time to actually come home and make supper - even if it is a simple one. The bread here is great- they have so many varieties of grainy bread, and the deli has all sorts of yummy things that you can buy baked fresh every day- and in small portions... Such as 1 garlic bread twist.

Off I go to check out the weather in NZ and plan out my days.

No comments: