Tuesday, July 04, 2006

The waiting game... and more interesting NZ bits

So I mentioned my big stress yesterday of whether to travel, or whether to look for a job... Zero job calls yesterday didn't encourage me. I woke up early this morning still stewing on my decision, as my friends were booking their trip today... I narrowly decided to try and look for work. However when I got up to shower I spotted my cell and it turns out I had missed a call last night from Patrick at the recruiting firm for the Nelson position. He called me later this am indicating they do want to talk to me. I also received 3 other phone calls. 2 were recruiters in Auckland so I told them I was heading south. (Leading me to hope I find something south, but you have to draw the line at some point). The other was another Wellington recruiter. I'm lined up to meet with him next Monday as well...

So ... if Nelson lines up that is my number 1 choice. Otherwise, Wellington seems to be a hotbet of contract work, so I guess I'll head there and meet with some folks. If that doesn't work out, I'll come back to Auckland and call back the folks who called me today. And if that doesn't work, I guess I'm destined to travel around for a while... (However despite my desire to see the beauty of NZ (and try some adventure activities), at this point, it is overweighed by the desire to actually get to know NZ a little better, by living at least a little "like a kiwi".)

In terms of more interesting NZ stuff... ("Hots" just for Liz...)

For the ladies- Hot- Boots... Worn over pants, or with short pants at the office, or with skirts.
Hot- Pumpkin. Yes indeedy... Seems to be a popular food.
Hot- Subways- at least in Auckland- they are everywhere!
Hot- Smoothies- These things are everywhere - from the grocery to many smoothie shops on the street. I just had a lovely green one for supper. I thought it would taste more like kiwi, but was a little disappointed. I did have a lovely strawberry one in the bookstore last night.
Hot- Auckland's weather this past week! For the dead of winter, I have yet to be caught in the rain and I've done a lot of walking! Also, the dead of winter tends to be in the ~ mid teens here so far during the day time.

Another observation: I think Auckland seems to be more humid than back home. I suppose that shouldn't be a surprise, but I think the lotion producers probably don't do so well here. Apparently one of the girls asked a hairdresser for advice and she was advised to not use conditioner... Interesting indeed...

Also- you can buy sliced rhubarb at the market. This would lead me to believe it sells in small quantities, like you see sliced fruit at home. I wonder who is buying it?

No comments: