Sunday, July 02, 2006

A sunny weekend

I'm starting to feel extremely lucky. Auckland weather has been ABSOLUTELY beautiful! Let me say that again. Both yesterday and today, blue sky and warm. Yesterday I didn't do too much- just more walking, picked up groceries, and hung out with a few folks I met. (Including a Canadian- Happy Belated Canada day!)

The hills here are more than I had bargained for. This prairie girl finds herself climbing up and down inclines throughout the CBD in Auckland. I figure if I was to stay here any period of time, I would be in great shape. Today I frequented the Auckland Museum. For the cost of $5, I observed a number of archeological artifacts from the south pacific, wandered through the animals/ plants exhibit, and got distracted by the pretty interesting volcano exhibit. I wasn't aware of some of the past volcanos in the NZ area. Interesting stuff- and lots of types of rocks, and such. Neat! We also wandered through the top floor, which was a little more sombre- as the mood was war. I realized that my knowledge of Canadian history is rather weak, as I couldn't remember who our own prime ministers were during certain of the wars. Mental note to read a history of canada summary when I make it back home. Also to read up a bit on NZ history- ie what created Anzac day.

The Museum is located in Auckland Domain- a lovely green space with interesting sounding walks, such as "lovers lane". I can't get over the trees. They are just so different. If I was a biologist, I am sure I would like NZ for the plant life. We also made our way back through Alberta Park- again- just so beautiful!

In terms of the resolution of my banking issues mentioned in a previous post- the problem has been settled by simple cash withdrawals from my credit cards, which I subsequently deposited in my NZ bank. My interac card wasn't an option, as my daily limit for ATM purchases is still rather low. Under $500. Maybe as low as $300. I can't exactly remember- just know that it doesn't work if I try to spend more.

I've been excited to see how favourable the FX rates are on the transactions that have posted to my credit card statements. In the range of .68. This makes things here a little bit of a better deal.

An interesting note on parking. They don't have meters everywhere- just a central depository every so often that services a whole part of a street. I'm not quite sure how it works.

My tentative plans are to head south this week. But due to the volume of my work related stuff, I hesistate to trave around much until I can get my work things in storage. (My "backpacking" things are under control. I had to purchase a few things for interviewing this weekend, having realized that my one blazer didn't coordinate either of the 2 pairs of work pants I bought. Doh! Victims of the last packing downsize. Mental note to keep coordination in mind in the future). I may wander down to Wellington/Nelson for about a week for my interview(s) there. If something pans out there, I'll likely do a stint of travel after I'm done that term job.

But I'm really liking Auckland so far. I hope to return at any rate for a stint of work here after the south, if something would line up.

No comments: