Friday, July 21, 2006

A full work week

Well- my work week is nearly over, and I'm on my own in my new position. I feel okay about most parts- and hopefully I'll learn the rest in short order by necessity!

I moved into my new flat and it was great to be able to unpack my stuff- and hang stuff up or put a few things in the dresser. Simple pleasures, to be sure, but lovely... I really really love the flat. I have a large room that opens on to the balcony, overlooking gardens- the river is very close. The ceilings are high. It is a big old house with a number of flats- I can't imagine what it would've been like as one home! My flatmate is currently away so I had the "fun" of trying to become like a normal kiwi and learn how to light a fire. (Previously I've mentioned the no heat bit). I did get it going, eventually- it took a long time to catch hold, however. I'm not sure I'll ever get used to the general chill in at home in the morning or the evening when you're not by the fireplace! Those who've been here would know what I mean. Kitten, as she is nicknamed is a sweetheart. She kept my feet warm last night.

A few interesting observations. Garbage is collected weekly- and recycling as well. You have to buy certain garbage bags for your garbage pickup- (I guess that is some sort of economic incentive to reduce, anyway- you don't need to buy for recyling).

The plugs have on off switches and tend to be turned off when not in use.

Grocery stores don't seem to carry the same stock. I go one place for their deli, another for frozen, etc. 3 grocery stores- but they're all about a 5 minute walk from each other, so it's not so bad.

I've developed another blister from the stupid shoes from home again- even though I'm walking the 40 minutes to work in my comfy running shoes... Yes- walking around the office in the day has done it. Although they are so nice to look at they hurt so much- so I don't agree with liz about fashion being more important than function... Not if you have to walk, at any rate.

I've been trying to do a bit of planning about things to do over the next while. I'm looking to visit Wellington in the next few weeks- as there is a LOTR exhibit on at the museum that I can't bear to miss- and it's only there for another few weeks. I think I'll walk around Nelson a bit this weekend if it is nice out- nothing too stressful. We'll save the thought of paragliding for another weekend.

No comments: